Woman dies on flight from Portland

In Bail Bonds by admin

A 64-year-old woman died Friday on a Honolulu-bound flight from Portland, Ore.

The woman became unresponsive due to an apparent medical condition while aboard Alaska Airlines Flight 833, Honolulu police said. Attempts to revive her were unsuccessful.

Police said there were no signs of foul play and the woman, whose name was not released, was pronounced dead at Daniel K. Inouye International Airport after the flight arrived at its gate at 11:03 a.m.

An unattended-death case has been opened.

Police seek poncho-wearing bank robber

Honolulu police are asking for the public’s help finding a man who robbed the First Hawaiian Bank at 433 Kapahulu Ave. while wearing a yellow poncho.

Police said the bandit entered the bank at about 9:25 a.m. Friday, approached the teller and demanded cash. The teller gave the man an undisclosed amount of money and he ran away.

The robber was described as 6 feet 1, 200 to 210 pounds, with dark hair and a medium build. In addition to the poncho, he wore a black long-sleeved shirt, khaki pants, black sunglasses, black gloves and a white surgical mask.

Anyone with information is asked to call CrimeStoppers at 955-8300 or visit the CrimeStoppers website.

3 isles in danger of thunderstorms, flooding

The National Weather Service issued a flash-flood watch for Niihau and Kauai on Saturday that was to be expanded to Oahu today and remain in effect until this afternoon.

A moist and unstable air mass was creating the threat of heavy rainfall, the weather service said. Bands of heavy showers and thunderstorms were due to move over the three islands early today.

Flash flooding is a threat in poor drainage areas, streams and low-lying areas, the agency said.

Alaska visitor dies snorkeling off Wailea

An 80-year-old visitor died Saturday in the ocean off South Maui, becoming the latest victim in a string of snorkeling deaths on the Valley Isle.

The man, from Homer, Alaska, had gone with a family member to Ulua Beach in Wailea but went into the water alone with a two-piece snorkeling set. At about 10:15 a.m., teenage bodyboarders found him floating face-down about 50 feet from shore, said Maui Fire Department spokesman Edward Taomoto.

The bodyboarders brought him to the beach, where beachgoers began CPR. Firefighters arrived about 10:20 a.m. and continued life-support measures, but the man died at the beach.

Taomoto said the ocean was very rough at the time, with shorebreak of 6 to 7 feet.

The man, whose name was not released, was the 10th ocean-related death on Maui in less than six weeks and the sixth snorkeler, all visitors, to die in the same period.

Source: 911 in the 808